KEMPHI: Taking a Stand…















I started KeMPhi last year hoping to give fans in Kenya that missing gap that we had as pertaining to the knowledge we have when it comes to Filipino showbiz. We are huge fans of their shows here in Kenya and it was only right to have our curiosity sated. As administrator of KeMPhi, I think that the Philippines has one of the most diverse industries in the world. They have given us world class shows over the past one and a half decade and it is no wonder we keep watching them.
 Unknown to most of us, the industry also has a budding movie industry with their movies earning millions of pesos in theatres and garnering international recognition from awarding bodie. Their concert scene is quite lively as well and most of our favorite stars are exceptional performers. They pack up theatres wherever they perform. They sing and dance as well as they act. Among them are Maja Salvador, Enrique Gil, Daniel Padilla, Kim Chiu, Rayver Cruz among others.

My vision for KeMPhi has since grown since I started this blog and is becoming bigger by the day. I’m glad that I have got to receive messages from Kenyans giving me a thumbs up for the work I’ve been doing and the appreciation drives me to do more for my Kenyan people to give them much more and I’m quite determined and passionate in my endeavor to do it. I somehow feel that the Kenyan audience is so hungry for more (correct me if I’m wrong) hence the reason I feel that the Philippines should give us a place in recognizing Kenya and the rest of Africa as huge consumers of their content. We see fans from the rest of the world getting concerts, movie premiers, meet and greet sessions with their stars while it’s not the same in Africa. I know of no such sessions that are organized for African fans. I don’t understand whether it’s our duty to do it ourselves and hence the reason for this post.

I hope I’m not speaking out of line in claiming that Kenyans would love to watch their favorite stars live or watch their movies in Kenyan Cinemas and if I’m right, I’m calling out to you. For the Kapamilya network to be willing to invest their resources in bringing their artists here, we as the fans need to show them that we want them to come here. One person badgering them won’t convince them, after all I cannot fill a theatre by myself. This is the reason I organized a twitter party on the 29th of October so that we can tell them together. This way, you can voice out your wishes and concerns for the world, and mostly for the Philippines to hear. For this idea to have an impact at all, we need to come out in huge numbers and tweet for hours. Not just writing one tweet and being done, we need to Tweet like we’d love to see Xagnes singing ‘ Bakit Sabi Nila’ live. 




















We already have backing from our Filipino Friends; fandoms like Paumaj and Lizquen are willing to help us out so I hope we take this kind gesture as the nudge we need. The Twitter party will be at 1 PM Kenyan time so I’m giving you ample time to clear up your afternoon on Saturday so that we can do this. Put a reminder on your phone if you have to. Excuses like having no twitter account are just that… excuses. It takes less than two minutes to create an account.

 I’m urging everyone who believes that Kenya and Africa should be in that Filipino showbiz fan radar to buy as many data bundles so that we can tweet. I’m putting myself out on a limb to try to convince you to join me because Kenyans are so difficult and dis-interested, it’s frustrating sometimes. I hope you won’t let me down, tafadhali. If you still don’t know how a Twitter Party works, join me every evening at 6 pm when #Forevermore is airing and we can learn together.
See you on Saturday. Special thanks to our friends in the Philippines; Maraming maraming Salamat.

3 comments: